It makes us look pretty grim: The nasolabial folds, also known as smile lines or laugh lines, are one of the expression lines. What helps against it – here are the best tips and tricks!
Everyone has them. One less pronounced, the other more clearly visible. We’re talking about the nasolabial fold. It runs left and right between the nostril and the corner of the mouth and can extend beyond the chin with increasing age. Similar to forehead wrinkles, (frown line), the nasolabial fold belongs to the mimic wrinkles. Both make us appear grim, even though we are in the best of moods. From injections of hyaluronic acid to clever make-up tricks: We’ll tell you the best methods and tips for treating, concealing and preventing your nasolabial folds.
Nasolabial folds: Causes
The nasolabial fold develops as the skin ages. Collagen production decreases, the subcutaneous fatty tissue becomes steadily thinner and the fat and water content of the skin decreases significantly. Add to this our daily facial expressions, which dig the lines and wrinkles even deeper – and the nasolabial fold between the nostrils and the corner of the mouth is already visible. But that is by no means a reason to look lousy. We will show you four methods to smooth out those annoying wrinkles and lift your spirits.
Nasolabial folds: The best tips against the worry line
Okay, nobody wants it, the nasolabial folds that make us grumpy. It’s a good thing there are some effective treatments for the nasolabial folds. But don’t worry. You don’t have to run off to the beauty doc and get Botox injected into your cheeks. We have collected some clever make-up tricks for you to conceal your nasolabial wrinkle. Important: prevent with the right care. We explain methods from aesthetic medicine to those who worry about the annoying wrinkle.
1. Treat the nasolabial fold with the right care
Anyone who discovers the first signs of a nasolabial fold in the face should now start with the right care and prevention. Creams and serums with hyaluronan are good. Hyaluronic acid takes over the function of an effective moisture storage. It regulates the water content in the connective tissue and thus ensures that our skin remains firm and elastic. It also stimulates the production of collagen and elastin, an essential basis for a smooth, firm complexion.
UV rays are another factor in accelerated skin aging. The top priority is therefore UV protection (SPF 50!). Also in the fight against wrinkles and lines have proven: retinol (vitamin A), collagen and fruit acid peeling.
2. Simply massage the nasolabial fold away
Creams etc. have an even more intensive effect if they are massaged in with light stroking movements. A facial massage additionally stimulates the blood circulation and promotes the lymph flow. Here come four exercises to combat the nasolabial fold:
- Gently tap the cheeks and mouth with the fingertips.
- Inflate the cheeks, hold for about ten seconds and push the air back and forth. Then blow it out again.
- Put a cork in your mouth and close your lips tightly. Hold for about ten seconds.
- Massage the areas around the nose, mouth and cheeks with a jade roller.
3. Treat nasolabial folds with make-up
The nasolabial fold is there and can no longer be discussed away. But you just have too much respect for syringes? Then primers, make-up and concealers quickly provide a remedy thanks to gloss particles. They scatter the light and act like a soft focus.
That’s what you need:
- (Eyeshadow) Primer
- Concealer brush
And this is how it works:
- Prepare the nasolabial fold with the primer. To do this, first apply a small amount of primer to your nasolabial fold with your finger left and right. This acts like a filler and the wrinkle looks padded.
- Now lighten the nasolabial fold with the Concealer. To do this, take up some paint with the brush, apply it to the fold and blend well. This reduces the dark shadow of the nasolabial fold and it appears less deep.
- Finally, apply foundation to the face. The transitions between make-up and concealer can be perfectly blended with a sponge.
4. Inject the nasolabial fold with hyaluronic acid
If the nasolabial fold is disruptive, an injection with hyaluronic acid offers immediate help. The hyaluronic acid is injected into the cheek region above the nasolabial fold using a syringe. This automatically smooths the nasolabial fold. The treatment is costly at around 600 USD. The result lasts around six months. Another method against the nasolabial fold is thread lifting. You can find all the information you need here.